Requirements to travel from Spain to Canada

The requirements to travel from Spain to Canada depend essentially on whether I qualify as a “fully vaccinated person”, how do I know if this is my case? The Canadian Embassy provides the following link with the necessary conditions:  

If I am vaccinated

The requirements to be able to enter Canada are as follows: 

  • Take an RT-PCR test maximum of 72 hours before travel, Canada does not accept rapid antigen tests as a travel test. 
  • Install the ArriveCAN application on my mobile phone, where I will have to declare my contact details during my stay in Canada.

I have to consider that at the airport I can be randomly pulled aside to take a Covid test at that moment, also being negative for Covid I am exempt from quarantine, I do not have to take the test on day 8. 


I am not vaccinated

According to CBC News, if I am not vaccinated against Covid-19, the RT-PCR test will only be accepted for unvaccinated persons as a requirement for entry into the country until November 30, 2021. 

After this date, the government has issued “exemption measures” for unvaccinated people who want to arrive in Canada by air. Even so, you cannot currently travel to Canada if you do not have a full vaccination schedule. 

As of 30 October this year, the Canadian government has ruled that if I am not fully vaccinated, I cannot fly domestically or internationally. 

What vaccinations are accepted for travel to Canada?


In order to have my full vaccination schedule I must have:

  • Received 1 dose of the Janssen vaccine at least 14 days before my trip.
  • Received 2 doses of the following vaccines: Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, or AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, at least 14 days after the second dose was given.

Spain and the 1-dose rule

Currently in Spain, if I have had Covid-19 for the last 90 days, I only get 1 dose of Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, or AstraZeneca vaccines. They have said that this is enough to generate immunity. 

However, Canada does not accept this test as a catch-up test. In these cases, I must go to a vaccination center with proof that I will travel to Canada, and they will give me the second dose of the vaccine. 

If you are traveling to Canada this autumn, medmesafe can provide you with over 100 authorized laboratories, in any city in the country. They will provide you with the RT-PCR test you need to meet the requirements of the Canadian Government. 



Content Marketing Specialist for websites and social networks +10 years experience in creative writing for different fields AIESEC Alumni Bachelor of Social Communication with specialization in Marketing and Corporate Communications (UCAB)