You don’t want to see your life affected by any disease or its consequences, so we can’t stop repeating that information is power and that early detection saves lives. Every day our clients come to our portfolio of laboratories and health professionals with doubts about how to prepare for any challenge that their health may have to face.
As they say: you don’t have to worry, you have to take care of yourself. We have found that Colon Cancer is one of the diseases that is most asked about and with good reason, since it is one of the most common after a certain age and its symptoms can be confused with those of other diseases. Today is the one we want to tell you about, especially about the test that you can access to get rid of doubts.
In today’s article we will tell you:
- Colon Cancer Prevention Test
- Is it colon cancer or hemorrhoids?
- Colon cancer symptoms
- Risk factor’s
Colon Cancer Prevention Test
As we had told you, the solution always begins with a diagnosis. At medmesafe we have the Colon Cancer Prevention Test, which detects the presence of a gene called Septin 9, which in a person’s plasma indicates the presence of colorectal cancer.
This type of cancer is the second most frequent in Spain and the third in the world, accumulating 2 million cases a year. Despite all that, 90% of them are saved thanks to early detection, the advantage is in your hands!
More on cancer statistics here
How to know if it is colon cancer or hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are also very common and are often confused with colon cancer, the most effective way to differentiate them is to get tested, however it is important to remember the difference between the development of each one. Hemorrhoids are the swollen veins inside the rectum and anus, which cause pain and itching, when it comes to colorectal cancer, sometimes a lump detectable or not with the hand, but the sensation is extremely different.
Another key difference is the risk factors for hemorrhoids, such as constipation, being pregnant, and anal sex. In addition, one must be alert to weight, because between both diseases, only cancer causes changes in the person’s measurements and it is there that it must become more urgent to take action.
Source: European Colon Association
Colon Cancer Symptoms
- Misalignment of your bowel habits: diarrhea, periods of constipation and inconsistency in the appearance of your stool
- Bleeding rectally or in your stool
- Abdominal pain
- abdominal cramps
- Persistent feeling of intestinal fullness
- You are 50 years old or older: age is the main sign of intestinal weakening, from the age of 50 the risk increases
- You are African American
- Cancer history: If you or your family have had cancer of any kind, the odds become more dangerous
- Other intestinal diseases: ulcer or colitis, for example
- Nutritional imbalance: obesity and a high-fat, low-fiber diet open the door to colorectal cancer
- Habits such as drugs, alcohol and tobacco.
As you read, cancer does not skimp on risks and consequences, but at the same time it is detectable even before the symptoms. Go ahead! It’s never too early but it can always be too late. Remember that we are always for you.