What do I need to travel from Spain to Canada right now?

As we have commented in previous posts, currently many of the countries are establishing their entry conditions, taking as a criterion whether the person is fully vaccinated or not. The vaccines accepted by Canada for entry into its territory are:

  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Modern
  • AstraZeneca
  • Janssen / Johnson & Jhonson

If you have the two doses of any of the first 3 (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or AstraZeneca) or the only dose of Janssen / Johnson & Jhonson, you are considered a fully vaccinated person, you must wait 14 days after you they put the last dose of the vaccine.

Requirements to travel to Canada if I am fully vaccinated

  1. Test Covid-19 before your trip

All people, over 5 years of age, must present the certificate of a diagnostic test for Covid-19

  • PCR (Polymerase chain reaction)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)


At medmesafe, we ​​offer all the Covid tests necessary for travel: antigens, RT-PCR, serology, and home services. If you have additional questions, contact us through the following form.

  1. Vaccination certificate

This document is recommended to be presented written in English, it must indicate:

  • Owner’s data
  • Number of doses administered
  • Date of each dose administration
  • Vaccine (with its lot number)
  1. Visa / eTA Canadá

European travelers do not need a visa to enter Canadian territory, however, they do require an eTA, which is the authorization obtained through the following link:

All documents related to the coronavirus (vaccination certificate and PCR test result) must be uploaded to the application called arriveCAN, less than 72 hours before arrival in Canada.

Spain and its one-dose rule

Currently in Spain, if you have passed the coronavirus and social security has performed a PCR test that gave a positive result, you are administered a single dose of Pfizer, Moderna, or AstraZeneca; And with that, they give you your vaccination certificate, however, this is causing problems for travelers.

Several people have denounced in social networks that they have been denied access to certain countries because their certificate does not expressly say 2 doses, only 1. Canada is one of those countries that require both Apparently, the exception of the single dose is only being applied in Spain.

Another problem that these people find is that if they have been diagnosed with an antigen test instead of a PCR test, the diagnosis is not valid for them to recognize the complete vaccination schedule, but in the same way, they are not administered the second dose.

What should you do if any of these assumptions is your situation?

  1. Ask for your 1-dose vaccination certificate from the hospital that administered it to you.
  1. Print some travel receipt, which indicates that you will indeed travel to Canada soon.
  1. Go to one of the vaccination points, without prior appointment, in Madrid for example at Zendal, and explain your situation to the person in charge.
  1. They will give you the second dose of the vaccine and in a couple of days, you will have your certificate with the complete vaccination schedule.

And with these requirements you would already have everything you need for your trip to Canada, remember that we have a post related to the restrictions on travelers due to the coronavirus, and if you visit the United States soon, be sure to read our post “Requirements to travel to the United States from Spain (October 2021)

At medmesafe, we ​​offer all the Covid tests necessary for travel: antigens, RT-PCR, serology, and home services. If you have additional questions, contact us through the following form.


Content Marketing Specialist for websites and social networks +10 years experience in creative writing for different fields AIESEC Alumni Bachelor of Social Communication with specialization in Marketing and Corporate Communications (UCAB)