Will my baby be born with Down syndrome? – Continuing, from medmesafe, with our mission to provide you with information, discussions and quality products on preventive medicine, health and well-being, we investigate the status of Down Syndrome as a chromosomal anomaly today.
We have collected data on prenatal test results and their influence on the demographics of the syndrome, celebrities who suffer from it or are close to someone who does and the tools you have to detect it.
In this article we tell you:
- What is Down syndrome?
- Celebrities close to the disease
- Will my baby be born with Down syndrome? Tools to answer it.
A condition which the Center for Disease Control and Prevention defines as “a condition in which the person has an extra chromosome. Chromosomes are small “packages” of genes in the body. They determine how the baby’s body forms during pregnancy.”
Detection is prevention and many families want to find out in time about the possibility that their baby suffers from the syndrome in order to contextualize themselves about some of the characteristics that would differentiate their children from the rest, such as:
- hearing loss
- Obstructive sleep apnea, which is a condition in which a person temporarily stops breathing while sleeping.
- Ear infections.
- Eye diseases, such as cataracts, and eye problems that require glasses.
- Heart defects present from birth.
It should be noted that these problems vary between patients, not all of them present them, but it is still very useful to be informed. Be sure to read the full article about it in our post: We tell you how to know that your baby will be born healthy. Good news!
Celebrities with Down Syndrome
Lauren Potter captivated the small screen as Becky on Glee and in 2011 was appointed as the official adviser to the White House on equality issues for people with disabilities.
Pablo Pineda: presenter, writer, lecturer and the first actor to be awarded the Silver Shell for best actor at the San Sebastian Film Festival
Jamie Brewer: has participated in several productions of American Horror Story, the acclaimed horror anthology series and became the first model with Down Syndrome to walk the runway at New York Fashion Week.
Owen Groesser: A youth basketball star, credited with leading his Michigan high school team to victory by his acclaimed “Owen Play.” He has also appeared on Sports Center broadcasts on ESPN.
Will my baby be born with Down syndrome?
We cannot insist enough on the importance of performing prenatal tests to accurately detect if it is a pregnancy of a disabled person. In the UK, 90% of people who find out about anomalies decide to abort the process and in countries like New Zealand, the figure is even higher and whether you lean towards this way of thinking or not, the important thing is inform you to know how to act.
We present the options that are best for you from an economic and scientific point of view, available at medmesafe.
Trisomy 21 test
- Detect abnormalities on chromosome 21
- It does not represent risk, it is not invasive
- You get results 6 to 9 business days after obtaining the sample
Harmony Prenatal Test
- Detects abnormalities in chromosomes 13, 18 and 21
- It does not represent any risk for the mother or the fetus
- Results are obtained in 3 to 5 business days
Fetal Gender Determination Test
- Determine the sex of the baby on the way to 8 weeks of pregnancy
- It does not represent a danger to the mother or the fetus, it is not invasive
- Results available 5 business days after obtaining the sample